Rarely during the laundering process a piece of bib overall hardware might be broken. Most susceptible are the two metal Wire Loops at the end of the suspender straps that hook to the buttons on the bib. Damage can occur when the suspender straps are not secured and the Wire Loops continually strike the metal drums inside the washer or dryer.
To prolong the life of your bib overall hardware and the functionality of your Key Garment, we suggest a variety of easy techniques to protect your hardware:
- Simply hook the Wire Loop onto the Button on the bib top as you do when you wear your Key bib Overalls. This does keep the Wire Loops in place, but does not protect them from striking the metal portions of the washer or dryer. If the hardware comes apart in the washer, re-secure before placing in the dryer.
- Instead of attaching the suspenders to the buttons on the bib top, place the suspenders inside the overall and hook onto the Bottom Side Button, one on each side, then button the Side Buttons over the eye hooks to secure them in place. Be sure to button the Top Side Buttons also.
- Open the snaps on the two bib pockets and lay the open part of the Wire Loop around the bottom part of the snap, then close the snap. Secure one Wire Loop on each snap.
- Unsnap and open the security flap of the large bib pocket. Lay the two bib suspenders flat, one on top of the other with the insides of the straps facing each other. Then starting at the Wire Loop ends of the suspenders, roll the suspenders into a roll all the way to the end of the suspenders where they attach to the hi-back of the overall. Take the rolled-up suspenders and push them into the open bib pocket. Close the security flap and snap securely. The hardware is now protected by the pocket and should complete the laundering process without damage. If the straps come undone in the washer, roll them up again and secure back into the pocket before putting in the dryer.
- You can use the smaller bib pocket without the security flap if you desire. Use the same procedure to roll the suspenders as above. Once you place the rolled suspenders in the smaller pocket, compress the portion of the suspender going out of the pocket so when the snap is closed the suspenders are in the narrower side of the pocket top opening.
- Close all the Side Buttons on the overalls. Place an old shoestring or piece of cord thru the hammer loop on the overall, then pass both ends of the cord thru the small opening under the Bottom Side Button and inside the overall. Pass one end of the cord thru both of the Wire Loops at the end of the suspenders (or thru the denim loops a the suspender ends) and tie the cord in a knot that will be easy to untie after laundering. Be sure the cord is tied short enough so the Wire Loop hardware remains inside the body of the overall so the denim can afford protection from metal washer and dryer parts.
We love to get ideas from our Key Bib Overall Wearers. If you have another method of protecting your bib overall hardware that works for you, please share it with us and others.